Dear Parents/Guardians, here are the some Glen Ames information updates for the week ending Friday, February 28, 2014: · Grade 8 Career Day on Thursday, May 1st at Duke of Connaught PS – both our Guidance Counselor, Ms. Campbell (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I serve on the East Region (ER) 11 Family of Schools Career Day Planning Committee. This day is dedicated to assisting students from ER 11 (of which Glen Ames is a part) to focus on making informed decisions about career and educational pathways. Over 700 Grade 8 ER 11 students will select from, and rotate through, approximately 16 workshop choices devoted to various career and educational options. In order to make this day a true success, we are asking for your help. If you are interested in offering career information presentations to students about your line of business, we’d love to talk to you. Whether you’re in the private or public sector, have your own business or work for a large corporation, your half hour presentations may open the door to options not yet thought of by those in your audience (approximately 25 students per session). Kindly send a return email to me at email@example.com or to Ms. Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org your name, the career you would be presenting and whether you are able to present in the morning (9:00 – 11:30 a.m.), afternoon (12:30 – 3:00 p.m.), or both. Additionally, we are looking for promotional items to place in the “swag bags” we’ll be providing each student. If you have an item or items you believe would be appropriate to include in these bags, we would very much appreciate receiving them from you. A complimentary lunch will be provided for workshop presenters. We are really looking forward to hearing from you!!
· Scarborough Math Olympics – 90 Glen Ames students participated in the Scarborough Association for Mathematics in Education (S.A.M.E.) individual math challenge this week. The top students from each grade/gender category will be invited to train for the Ontario Math Olympics in May. Congratulations to all who participated! · Branding at Glen Ames – during ICT (computer) class this week and next, each student will be provided the opportunity to electronically submit a “nickname” that could be used for Glen Ames school teams. Soon, after all submissions are in, a committee of students, parents and staff will review the nicknames and up to 4 will be selected and voted on (again in ICT class using Schoology). The nickname that receives the most votes will be the winner. Stay tuned for more details, which includes the creation of a new logo/icon for Glen Ames!
· Friday, March 7th – P. A. Day – No School for Students
· Monday, March 10th to Friday, March 14th (inclusive) – March Break – school closed
· Sports Updates – both the Grade 7 and Grade 8 Girls’ Volleyball teams have had great success this season. Our Grade 8 team was a conference semi-finalist and the Grade 7 team is off to the City Finals this coming Tuesday, after being crowned South Champions. Way to go girls!!
· Here’s a list of upcoming Inter-School Sports being offered this Spring (coach(es) listed): - Grade 8 Coed Volleyball (Ms. Hulme) - Grade 8 Badminton (Ms. Sullivan/Mr. Libaque) - Grade 8 Ultimate (Ms. Hulme/Mr. Martin) - Grade 8 Boys' Soccer (Mr. Ray) - Grade 8 Girls' Soccer (Mme Patry) - Grade 7 Girls' Soccer (Mme Patry)
· Intramural Co-Ed Volleyball playoffs begin next week. Approximately 100 Glen Ames students have participated in house league volleyball since January. Thanks to our teaching staff for organizing such a wonderful experience for our students!
Here’s wishing everyone a relaxing, and hopefully warmer, weekend.